Monday 20 February 2012

Me, Myself and I

Last weekend was the 3rd round of the National Cross Country Cup at Mt Vic in Wellington.  I always love racing at Mt Vic and enjoy returning to my hometown for a few days.

Unfortunately the turnout was extremely low for this round with very few South Islanders making the trip north.  My grade consisted of me, myself and I!  Luckily I was able to keep motivated by racing a junior girls and the sole masters rider. 

The course was brilliant.  The hills were tough and the descents were very technical.  The PNP club did a fantastic job.  There were several sections of track I have never had the courage to ride before so was very happy I was able to ride the full track without incident on race day.  However, there were a few moments where my life was flashing before my eyes!

Thanks to Pete Marshall for the brilliant photography capturing the true horror in my eyes! http://petemarshallphoto.smugmug.com/Galleries/Cross-Country-Racing-XC/2012-Nationals-XC-Wellington/21536157_mj4Nhw#!i=1717019707&k=cW9rGsS
It's a shame I didn't have anyone else in my grade.  I  encourage any women reading this to come and give cross country racing a go.

The Palmy crew had some great results with Sasha coming 4th in Elite Women, Gareth 2nd in U17 Men, Zia 1st in U15 Women and great races by Ethan, Cameron, Matt and Andrew (apologies if I have missed anyone).  During the afternoon race I spoke to a marshal who mentioned how good it was to see such a large group of riders from Palmerston North and it was very cool to see all of the Pedal Pushers shirts warming up around the velodrome.  

Thanks again to Pete Marshall


Now I am looking forward to next weekend in Napier.  I love the tracks in Napier and I really hope a few more women turn up!


No comments:

Post a Comment